WCF Horticulture was the first seed potato packer offering the benefits of the Safe Haven Certification Scheme to our customers.
The Safe Haven Scheme offers major advantages for producers, retailers and consumers by helping to eliminate notifiable, non-indigenous diseases & pests and the repercussions these devastating diseases can have on participating British businesses.
Strict, independent audits are conducted annually on all scheme members to ensure stringent production and hygiene standards are realised and maintained. Safe Haven Scheme participants are only permitted to use seed potatoes grown within the Safe Haven Scheme. All our seed potatoes are sourced solely from Safe Haven members, confirming our commitment to Bio-Security.
The Soil Association believes in the connection between soil, food, the health of people and the health of the planet and campaigns for planet-friendly food and farming.
WCF Horticulture has been registered with the Soil Association for numerous years, and is audited every year to ensure standards of production and hygiene on organic seed potatoes are maintained.
Seed Potato Classification Scheme (SPCS)
The supply of seed potatoes is strictly inspected and monitored by the Scottish Government under the SPCS and we operate within these controls. We are conversant with the legal requirements and are used to working within a highly-legislative field of operation.
WCF Ltd will earn loyalty by providing products and services of the highest standard and quality and greatest value. We seek to exceed customer expectations to encourage them to form long term relationships with us.
To achieve this we will:
- Understand and meet the needs and requirements of our customers;
- Communicate with them in a timely, open and honest manner;
- Continually monitor and improve their total experience;
- Treat them according to our Terms and Conditions and Privacy policies;
- Ensure our products comply with applicable safety and regulatory requirements, meet their published specifications, are labelled and priced accordingly and are represented accurately in any catalogues or marketing literature;
- Develop long term relationships with key suppliers to encourage best practice, facilitate effective communication, drive efficiency and deliver premium levels of service;
- Provide such information, resource, training and supervision to our employees to enable them to meet our customers’ requirements and respond to unplanned issues or delays as quickly and as efficiently as possible;
- Consult with our employees on ways in which our product or service offering could be improved;
- Commit to best practice via our knowledge of competitor and industry practice;
- Review our systems, policies and procedures on a periodic basis to assess their continued suitability, implementing additional controls where necessary to achieve continuous improvement; and
- Ensure our activities and workplaces are safe for employees, contractors, visitors and the general public.
SEDEX - Operational Standards for Supply Chains
This Code of Conduct defines the labour and basic environmental standards that all retail suppliers must achieve in all factories and worksites wherever they are in the world including the UK. This Code is based on the standards set out in the International Labour Organisation Conventions and is designed to ensure that the rights of all workers (whether permanent, temporary, casual or seasonal, local or migrant) are respected and protected.
We are committed to minimising our potential impact on the environment. As a minimum requirement, we operate in compliance with all environmental legislation and strive to utilise relevant environmental best practice in all our operations.
We recognise that by meeting our obligations to detect and mitigate those adverse effects that our operations may be having on the environment, we can not only reduce pollution, energy consumption and waste, but also provide our business with valuable commercial benefits.
The key points of our environmental strategy are:
- Implement a rolling program of inspection and site audits;
- Evaluate our operations to ensure that they are as efficient as possible;
- Develop and maintain appropriate emergency and spill response procedures;
- Educate and inform our employees about any environmental issues which may affect their work and encourage them to behave in an environmentally responsible manner;
- Re-use and recycle where possible;
- Promote efficient use of materials and resources;
- Avoid unnecessary use of hazardous materials and products;
- Exchange information to share methods of best practice and the use of the best available technology.
Through the above we hope to demonstrate an environmentally responsible image and we encourage our suppliers and customers to follow similar environmental best practice methods.